Augmented reality is an astonishing technology. It has got many benefits in different domains, including gaming, science education, etc. The statistical analysis of its market size indicates the vast canvas it will cover.
• According to Fortune Business Insights, the worldwide augmented reality market was USD 6.12 billion in 2021.
• It is expected to rise and reach the value of USD 97.76 billion by 2028.
AR in education has played an important role and ar help engineering students. It has benefitted many institutes and students with its advanced features. Let us have a look at what exactly AR is! In addition, you will also know about its value addition in the education domain. Furthermore, we will have a detailed review of its benefit in science education.
What Is Ar, and How Does It Enhance the Education Domain?
AR is basically the extension of the actual and physical world. It enables us to experience the virtual objects at their place, gadget, or other locations.
AR in the education system has a lot of significance. It has the power to transform the education domains. In addition, its use in higher education has been noticeable. The games like Pokemon Go made this technology known to youngsters. However, it offers an interactive and skilled educational platform.
• According to Markets and Markets, in 2018, the global AR/VR industry in education was USD 9.3 billion.
• By 2023, it is said to have a value of USD 19.6 billion.
AR in science education
As mentioned earlier, AR can help the education system on various levels. Similarly, science education benefits a lot from AR. Basically, we need to understand the fact that learning science, engineering, or whole STEM requires a specific educational module.
These modules or curriculums have to have a combination of practicals or experiments and theoretical knowledge. Furthermore, it needs to have a robust technological environment to let a student be a skilled professional.
While Talking About Science Education, It Has Got Following Benefits.
Benefits of AR in science education
There are many advantages of AR and vr science education. We have listed a few benefits of AR systems for the science education domain.
It is Interesting to Learn With AR.
Augmented reality enhances the way students learn. Online sessions that include AR are more exciting. In addition, students can perform diverse tasks involved in learning in such an environment. Therefore, it creates and boosts students’ interest.
It Is Easier to Understand Complex Concepts via Potent Ar Labs.
In science education, students look forward to performing experiments on every complex concept. Moreover, laboratory sessions are the most sought-after sessions by the learners. On this note, AR labs can help gain and enhance the students’ interest in complex subjects. As a result, the learning becomes powerful.
Learning From Anywhere
There are many smart education ventures. They include online education. In addition, such systems can make students make use of advanced technologies like AR and VR. Furthermore, these systems are made available online. This benefits students by learning from anywhere.
Time and Cost-Saving Practicals
In science education, practicals and theory both are important. Since the course time in the traditional system is limited, only a few topics can be covered for practicals. However, experimenting with augmented reality is time and cost-saving. Therefore many topics can be covered and taught practically.
AR gaming can enhance science education.
Gaming Boosts Education.
• A study by Nuri Kara from Istanbul Bilgi University, Turkey, talks about serious games in science education.
• Their research showed that experiential science was the most highlighted subject for educational gaming.
Moreover, AR gaming is compelling in education. ScienceSpots AR is one such game that provides a flexible learning environment to students. Additionally, it has sub areas to make students understand science concepts. Further, each game has a specific science topic and virtual characters interacting with the student. These characters guide the learner through a story divided into chapters and ask them to perform some tasks.
Apart from these, AR and VR support experiential learning. In addition, it promotes simulation-based learning.
But has AR really worked with science education?
Yes, and we have crafted a few examples of it. In the following examples, we have listed some applications and research of AR in science education.
Implementation of Ar in Science Education
Many researchers and scholars from different countries have performed various experiments to explore AR in science education. Moreover, many have performed it to find the usage. Further, They could discover, comprehend and elevate the effectiveness of AR in science education.
• One such experiment took place in Turkey. Researchers from the department of mathematics and science education Erzincan Binali Yildirim University experimented with AR in chemistry learning. They found that students favored AR in the science education system. Also, they recommended several suggestions to improve AR-based chemistry learning.
• Researchers from St. Scholastica’s College, Manila, Philippines, talked about AR in the science classroom. They mainly reveal about visualization. Also, they mention that students say that AR improves visualization and find it more effective to learn science via AR.
• Spacecraft 3D is one of the AR applications used for learning solar systems. It lets students study the earth, the sun, and the universe with the app.
• According to the Grand View Research, in 2021, the global education technology market was USD 106.46 billion.
• It is expected to grow by 16.5% at the end of 2030.
Many educational technologies dominate and drive today’s educational system. Augmented reality and virtual reality are two such technologies. Especially in STEM education, they have significant use. In addition, STEM education needs a potent technological environment to nurture the knowledge and skill to create such technologies in the future.
In this post, you have read about the benefits of AR in science education. Moreover, augmented reality has transformed the world. Domains like healthcare, manufacturing, marketing, real estate benefit from AR. The education system is not an exception to it. In addition, the science education system gets an advantage of learning in a technologically developed environment with AR.